Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Modern Minnie Party: Dessert Buffet.

I posted the tiniest sneak peek known to mankind a few weeks ago.  Is it weird that I feel guilty about that?  Let's just say I was making up for the 1200 posts I did on Nadia's party.  Not that you didn't enjoy every last one of them. ;)  So here are a few more details of my baby's 3rd Birthday Party! And this time there will only be two posts--this one featuring the dessert (because let's face it; that's my favorite part!) and one more featuring, well, the rest.  So here goes!

the big picture:

The menu consisted of:

Black Forest Cookies, Oreo Truffles, Minnie Dipped Oreos, Minnie French Vanilla Cupcakes, Dipped Marshmallows, and of course a Minnie Mouse birthday cake.

Classic Minnie Mouse Cake
The cake was made by my fabulous sister-in-law.  She did a great job! The cake stand is from HomeGoods (I finally bought myself one after admiring it (and buying a couple for others) for years)! and the red ribbon was from Michael's.

I loved these "Black Forest" cookies.  I found the recipe on (via Pinterest) but after reading reviews adapted it a little bit. I eliminated the cherry preserves and instead added cherry extract to the chocolate frosting.  I used a bag mix of chocolate chunk cookies (which tastes like brownies).  They were so good and tasted like chocolate covered cherries.  mmmmm.

I can't believe I'd never made Oreo truffles before!  They are so simple and so delicious.  I got the mini cupcake liners from Zulily for Nadia's party on accident-- I meant to order regular liners.  So I was happy to be able to use them!  The white tray was also leftover from Nadia's party. I lined them with red polka dot scrapbook paper from Hobby Lobby.

These Minnie Oreos were adorable and fairly simple, though they did take a long time to make!  I found one Minnie Oreo Tutorial that was really helpful. I couldn't find the heart candies that everyone in the blogosphere seems to use (for Minnie cake pops and cookies) so I had to improvise.  I bought cookie decorating icing in a tube and cut the tiniest tip off so I could just make a bow with dots.  I did the same with the white cookie decorating icing for the polka dots.  Oh and I tried with mini Oreo cookies for the ears and it didn't work; they just weren't sturdy enough.

These may end up at future parties...they are so cute, simple, and easy to match any party.  Genevieve loves marshmallows so it was a perfect addition to the buffet.  I can't take credit for the idea.  I got it from here.  But I used big marshmallows rather than mini ones and m&ms instead of smarties. And a helpful hint--when using m&ms don't place them on the dipped marshmallow when the chocolate is too hot.  If you do, the m&m will start to melt and the candy shell will crack.  Just a heads up.  You're welcome. ;)

I think these were my favorite part.  How adorable are the bow and "ears?"  The bow is made of fruit roll ups-- a genius idea I got from here. The "ears," are made of black vanilla flavored candy melts.  I LOVE the cupcake stand and it will definitely make an appearance in future parties.  I got it from Hobby Lobby. 

And that's it!  It was a simple menu of just a few delicious and pretty goodies.  Stay tuned for part II!

I'm linking with Bird's Party. Check out all the party inspiration here!


  1. This is SUCH and adorable party! There isn't a thing I don't like! Great job :)

    1. Thanks Hilari!! Thanks for stopping by!

  2. I love the fans as a whole background piece but OT is so expensive to order from! I wish I could find them in stores. It's safe to say I'm obsessed with figuring out how to make a piece like that for my daughter's birthday in April.

    1. Hey there,
      are you referring to the shipping charges? Every once in a while they do a free shipping on any purchase or free shipping on $25 or $39 those are the times when I buy! The polka dot fans you could easily make with scrapbook paper-do a google search or a pinterest search and you'll see many tutorials. Good luck and thanks for your comment!


Related Posts with Thumbnails