DIY Printable Nursery Art & a Toddler Room Update. - Pretty Real

DIY Printable Nursery Art & a Toddler Room Update.

8:58 AM

{via}


Or really, in my case, toddler room art.  I've been slowly chugging along in re-decorating Genevieve's toddler room.  It's been sloooooow going but I feel like I'm FINALLY making some good progress.  As for an update:


As for an Update:
-Remember this post where I was discussing finding modern toddler bedding?  Well when I couldn't find anything I loved, I decided I'd make a duvet.  I grabbed this set from Target just to use as an insert (rather than spend big bucks on a down insert) but then decided even though it's not perfect it would work with her room.  (This, after wasting money on ordering fabric online and not loving it in person). The target set actually is modern enough to work well and not detract in any way from her room. And the blue color looks great against her grey walls.
Circo Sweets Bed Set- Toddler.  Ok, so before you judge me, when I make the bed I put the aqua polka dot side facing up, and the purple side facing down.  And she has super cute and bright throw pillows to jazz it up a bit.

-I broke down and got the baskets that go with her expedit (that I mentioned in the dresser sneak peek post) and am now organizing it.  Once I found that the price of the baskets dropped from $19.99 to $14.99, I couldn't resist! And a bonus-- a friend picked them up for me!  Someone who will give up precious car space on a trip to ikea is a true friend indeed.
PJÄS Basket IKEA This basket is suitable for storing your newspapers, magazines, photos or other memorabilia.
-I completely reorganized the furniture in the room with help from my husband.  It was so great to get his opinion, which if I'm being honest, isn't always the case when it comes to design. Ladies, can I get an amen?  Since he didn't think the re-do was necessary to begin with, I've been intentional about doing it by myself (does that sound bad?!).  But I was so in love with the chevron wall and chalk wall that I was no longer objective in deciding where to place furniture.  My main objective was leaving that wall open for play and art.  Well when you have a 10 x 12 room--one that's pulling double duty as a bedroom and playroom-- you just can't leave entire walls open.  And apparently I needed the husband to figure that out for me.  The new layout makes such a huge difference.  It's amazing how much bigger the room looks.  And I'm just realizing I never took a photo of the room the way it was so I can't show you that huge difference.  And I'm now seriously wondering if it would be absolutely crazy to move everything back just to snap a photo?!  (Do you all care that much?! And more importantly, am I insane)?

-Lastly, I decided that it won't be completely finished before I post a reveal.  And by the way, "reveal" sounds so dramatic but I'm not sure how else to describe sharing the final product of something you've been talking about for. like. ever.  Although I plan to get it practically finished in the near future, there will definitely be some finishing touches that I'll want to add...but if I wait until every last thing is done, I'll never "reveal," it.  Ever.  Sooooo be looking for a phase 1 reveal soon!  And to the point of other details, what I'm working on now is a mini gallery wall. Which brings me to:

DIY Printable Nursery (or Toddler Room) Art:


So in the past I've googled how to create printables hoping there's some super clever, super cheap, and super easy way to do it (you know--instead of buying and learning Photoshop).  And when I did that search I found several blog posts on various blogs about making Printable art using PicMonkey.  I wondered why I hadn't thought of that and figured since I made Genevieve's 2nd Birthday invitation on Picmonkey (oh Yeah, I never finished telling you about her party did I?!), I thought I might be ready to try something more "advanced."  So here goes:

1. First I had to find a blank canvas to use as a background.  This blogger used a white MS Paint background.  I was lucky enough to stumble across these FREE chalkboard backgrounds via Pinterest.  
2. I knew I wanted to use a scripture but wasn't sure which one, or how I could make it stand out.  I'm not a graphic designer after all. So I looked for inspiration.  And here's where I feel sort of weird.  Because I basically copied the one I found on etsy.  And I'm not sure if that's wrong.  I justify it by a) it's a scripture and no one owns that  b) I'm not selling it; it's purely for personal use.  c) I'm giving her shop publicity so if you don't have the time to create your own, you just might head over to her shop and purchase one (they start at just $8).  I know, I know, you're thinking "who are you trying to convince?"  Well I'm hoping it's ok because surely it must be a double sin to steal scripture art. ;)  Moving on, I used that piece as inspiration and created something very similar using the free elements in Picmonkey.  Although I'm pretty sure I'll upgrade at some point, I figured I could do this project without spending the extra $5/month.  
3. I saved it at the highest quality they offer and will have it printed, most likely via Walmart or CVS Photo.

And as a side note, some translations of that scripture read: "It's obvious how much He loves me."  and I just adore that.  

That's it.  What do you think?  Easy right?!

You Might Also Like

3 comments

  1. I had no idea you could do that with PicMonkey!! Holy cow, I totally love it!! Ha, and the only reason I even own Photoshop is because I have a friend who gets awesome discounts for them and he sent me one. I wish I would have known about this earlier, though - I would have been making printables a long time ago! ps: this toddler room is sounding like it's going to be super cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rachel, I've seen some very cool ones by other bloggers that put this one to shame! lol. I'm flattered that you think it's good! I'll be stopping back by your blog to see your journey with Photoshop. I'm sure eventually I'll break down and get it! Hoping to get her toddler room posted this month so swing back if you get a chance! Thanks so much for stopping in! :)

      Delete
  2. I would like to get the same one you have. I would like it large poster size.
    how can i.

    ReplyDelete

Subscribe