DIY Mason Jar Soap Dispenser - Pretty Real

DIY Mason Jar Soap Dispenser

12:26 PM

Do you ever get this uncontrollable need to create something?  I used to have those feelings from time to time and now they are all the time and directly related to Pinterest.  All of those fabulous DIY pins....just waiting for me to actually bring them to fruition.  Well this weekend both girls were sleeping AND I had an extra "day," since my husband had Friday off- I felt like I had a few minutes to spare (I know- wonder of wonder, miracle of miracles)*.  I needed a quick DIY project that I had all the components for.  Enter this pin.  This project is awesome because it doesn't require much.  A soap dispenser, glue, a hammer and nail, and a mason jar.  Check, check, check, and check.  Even if you don't have an extra soap dispenser or a mason jar lying around, both are super cheap and accessible. You can get mason jars for a little over a dollar a pop here.

I actually have tons of mason jars in my garage.  I passed up a handful at a thrift store at a great price and later kicked myself.  But because of that, the next time I saw them at a cheap price, I snagged them ALL up.  Literally 3 cases.  Yes, I'm impulsive and crazy.  I bought the soap dispenser at the dollar store knowing I'd want to tackle this project in the near future.




I consulted this tutorial to make my soap dispenser.  And for once, it was actually as easy as Linda made it seem.

  • I basically put a nail through the center of the lid (with the lid attached to the jar) to start my hole.
  • Next, I used pliers to pull the hole back and make it bigger.
  • Third, I stuck the pump in and glued the dispenser on with a glue gun.
  • Lastly, I filled with soap and admired my handy work. :)


I'm still considering if I want to paint the jar and/or dispenser or leave it as is.  I love that it was so simple but I also like the original pinned version and that is looks a bit more polished.  I'd also love to find some of the blue ball jars like the one in this pin.  I did a quick search on eBay, but I'm cheap and hoping to find one for a couple of bucks at a yard sale or thrift store instead.  Oh and one more thing, if you want to skip painting the dispenser you can find just the pumps here.

So what do you think?  To paint or not to paint?
What Pinterest Project have you completed lately?

*PS- did you catch the Fiddler on the Roof (my favorite movie of all time) reference? :)

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe