A Modern Take On A Baby Shower Classic... - Pretty Real

A Modern Take On A Baby Shower Classic...

3:22 PM


I made a diaper cake for the first time a few weeks ago and have been meaning to post the finished product! I really wanted something modern that Megan would love (what can I say? We are just not "classic pooh"girls). I thought it would be difficult but thanks to a few sites, I found it really easy. The hardest, but also the most fun part, was shopping for the cake's "icing."

Here is a list of items I used:
  • a bottle of champagne
  • about 70 Pampers Swaddlers size 2 diapers
  • 3 Circo receiving blankets
  • 1 stem of pink peonies from Wal-Mart
  • Mam "sassy" 2 pack pacifiers
  • Mud Pie booties
  • personalized onesie from Kimbows Etc.
  • ribbon from Wal-Mart
  • craft birdies from Wal-Mart
  • push pins
  • hot glue gun
The great thing about diaper cakes is that you can do pretty much whatever you want with them. They can be girly or boyish, modern or whimsical...the world is your oyster. It's all about what accessories you choose for the cake. Typically I'd say less is more but I went a little crazy with this one and ended up making it really frilly (I just couldn't help myself)!


For step by step instructions, check out Alpha Mom's page "How to Make a Unique Diaper Cake." Her instructions made this project a cinch. Her suggestions gave me just enough guidance to get started but as you can tell I made a few adjusments. First, I skipped the tissue paper and used receiving blankets instead. I can't take credit for this idea. I consulted my all time favorite blog, hwtm daily blog. I also used different size diapers. I accidentally picked up the wrong size and figured it wouldn't make any difference. And it really didn't; both size 1 and 2 diapers work fine. It's probably a good idea to avoid using newborn diapers since the baby grows out of them so quickly (and while it pains me that this cake will be taken apart, let's face it, mama will need all those diapers!).

Basically I followed alpha mom's instructions and then took my time placing the blankets, flowers, and positioning the decor just so (for me, push pins were great because it's not as permanent as glue). Finally, voila! An adorable modern diaper cake for an adorable baby Grace!


You Might Also Like

2 comments

Subscribe